Martinsville fire department find cause of New Year's Eve house fire
MARTINSVILLE, Va. – UPDATE
The cause of Martinsville's New Year's Eve fire has been determined, according to city officials.
Electrical conductors leading to an exterior floodlight were found as the source of the fire by the homeowners' insurance company and the Martinsville Fire and EMS Deputy Fire Marshall.
Martinsville Fire and EMS is investigating a house fire that happened at 6:21 p.m. on Monday.
Authorities said residents at a house at the 1200 block of Mulberry Road in Martinsville reported the house fire at their home, with signs of smoke and flames in the attic.
When Martinsville Fire arrived at the scene, they said that the two homeowners had made it out of the house along with their dogs. They said that two cats were missing, with one being found inside the house later by firefighters.
Firefighters were at the scene of the fire until about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to authorities. They said firefighters fought flames on the outside of the home but stopped due to extreme heat and risk of a collapse.
The Martinsville Fire & EMS Fire Marshal’s office is still investigating the fire at this time.
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.