72ºF

Resident displaced after wood stove sparks fire in Hollins home

Roanoke County Fire/EMS
Roanoke County Fire/EMS

ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. – One person is displaced after a wood stove sparked a fire in the Hollins area. 

Roanoke County firefighters responded to a report of a fire at a home in the 6900 block of Thirlane Road around 10 p.m. Tuesday. The neighborhood is not far from Northside Middle and High. 

When crews arrived, they didn't see any fire from the outside of the house but did discover smoke and flames inside. 

The resident made it out safely. 

The fire marshal determined that the fire was an accident, caused by combustible material that was too close to a wood stove. 

Crews were able to extinguish the fire within about 10 minutes, but not before the fire caused $30,000 in damages. 

The resident is staying with family.