State police identify man who died after deadly domestic shooting situation

Woman seriously injured



State police have identified the man who died after a deadly domestic shooting situation in Nelson County. 

Authorities say the first shooting happened shortly after 9 p.m. Thursday when James Saunderson, 47, and a 45-year-old female got into an argument at their home in the 800 block of Rodes Valley Drive. 

The woman then drove herself to a Wintergreen Fire Department station where she was taken to UVA Medical Center. She is still being treated for serious, but non-life threatening injuries. 

The Nelson County Sheriff's Office immediately responded to the pair's home on Rodes Valley Drive. When deputies approached the house, they heard gunshots fired from inside the home. 

Virginia State Police set up a perimeter around the home to contain the scene. Despite numerous attempts by state police, authorities weren't able to reach the person inside the home. 

Authorities then obtained a search warrant and found Saunderson dead inside the home, where a handgun was found. His body has been taken to the medical examiner's office for an autopsy. 

When authorities found Saunderson, no one else was inside the home and now law enforcement officials discharged their weapons during the incident. 

The investigation remains ongoing. 


A woman has been flown to UVA Medical Center after being shot around Wintergreen.

State police say she showed up at the Wintergreen Fire and Rescue station in Nellysford around 9 p.m. Thursday with at least one gunshot wound. She was flown to the UVA Medical Center, where she is being treated for serious injuries. 

State police responded to a nearby home on Rodes Valley Drive, which is in the Stoney Creek community of Nelson County. As they approached, they heard gunshots from inside the house. They tried to make contact with the person inside but were not able to, so they obtained a search warrant. 

Once they went inside the home, they found a man who had died. Officers found a gun at the scene.

State police believe he had shot the woman several hours earlier.

Their names have not been released yet. 

The investigation is still open. 

About the Authors: