46ºF

Stove comes back on after power outage, sparking fire in Danville

No one was home

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

DANVILLE, Va. – A house was damaged in Danville by a fire on Sunday.

The Danville Fire Department reported to a fire at 116 Hamilton St. at 8 p.m. on Sunday and contained the fire to the kitchen, which had heavy damage.

There was nobody in the house and most of the residents' personal belongings were spared from damage, authorities said.

Fire officials said the kitchen stove had been left on while the residents left the house after high winds caused power outages in the area. The power was restored while the residents were still not home, resulting in the fire, officials said.