SALEM, Va. – A home in Salem is destroyed after an accidental fire that killed the resident's cat.
Around 11:15 p.m. Sunday, firefighters responded to a fire at a single-story home on Powell Drive, which is off of Twelve O'Clock Knob Road in the Fort Lewis area.
When they arrived, they were greeted by heavy fire and smoke showing from the front of the home and the roof. It took about an hour to get the fire under control and the home is a total loss, with a value of $125,000.
The man who lives there was not home at the time. No people were hurt, but his cat did not make it.
The man is staying with family in the area.
The Roanoke County Fire Marshal's Office has determined that the fire was caused by combustibles that were too close to a heating source.