Authorities say house fire that destroyed Danville home overnight started by unattended cooking
DANVILLE, Va. – UPDATE
Authorities have determined the cause of a house fire that destroyed a Danville home overnight.
The blaze was started by unattended cooking, according to assistant fire marshal Richie Guill.
Guill says unattended cooking is the No. 1 cause of fires in the country.
Crews are investigating an overnight fire that destroyed a Danville home.
Around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters responded to a home in the 1700 block of North Main Street, which is near Stonewall Jackson Park. When they arrived, the house was already well involved and the people who were inside had made it out safely.
The fire destroyed the home and also damaged a neighbor's home. The damage is so extensive that firefighters are not able to go inside right now.
The fire marshal will work to determine what caused the fire when it is safe to do so.
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.