Virginia ranked No. 10 in nation for most robocall complaints, study finds
181,936 complaints filed in Virginia in 2018
ROANOKE, Va. – If you're annoyed with robocalls, you're not alone.
A new study ranks Virginia 10th in the country for robocall complaints.
The growing robocall scam epidemic led to 181,936 complaints filed in Virginia in 2018, according to a study released Tuesday from SocialCatfish.com.
The study uses the latest data from the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission.
In the U.S., there were 3.5 billion telemarketing and robocalls made to mobile phones in April 2019, according to the study.
The site says robocalls are only going to keep rising as artificial intelligence technology expands.
Although some businesses use robocalls for legitimate purposes, 43% of all robocalls are scams, according to the study.
The site offers its key findings from the study:
- 5 States with the Most Robocall Complaints:
- 747,829 - California
- 427,404 - Florida
- 402,316 - Texas
- 348,615 - New York
- 252,935 - Illinois
- Robocalls By Category:
- 43.31% - Scams
- 23.49% - Alerts and Reminders
- 19.89% - Payment Reminders
- 13.31% - Telemarketing
- Best Call-Blocking Apps:
- There was a 495% increase in the number of available call-blocking apps between October 2016 and March 2018, including RoboKiller, Nomorobo and Truecaller.
- Most Common Scams:
- Calls allegedly from the IRS, health insurance companies and foreign consulates. A new scam claiming to be from the Chinese consulate has cost more than $40 million in total, or $164,000 per victim.
The site offers five practical tips to avoid falling for a robocall scam:
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.