CAMPBELL COUNTY, Va. – 5:00 P.M. UPDATE
A woman must live elsewhere after the house she was staying in caught on fire.
Firefighters with Campbell County were called to Mountain Lane a little after 7 a.m. Wednesday.
According to fire officials, there was no power at the house and a kerosene heater being used as a heat source.
The Fire Marshall tells 10 News there was a woman inside the house at the time and she is expected to be OK.
Brittany Franklin stopped by the house.
She tells 10 News her grandmother owns it, but it was her uncle’s wife living in the home.
“All my memories are here. Most of my life was spent here. All of our first children we brought them here to meet granny and papa. This house meant a lot to all of us,” Franklin said.
9:30 A.M. UPDATE
The cause of a Campbell County house fire that displaced a woman and her dog Wednesday morning may be suspicious, according to authorities still working the scene.
Authorities say they received the call for the fire around 7 a.m. Wednesday.
According to Isaiah Engel with the Rustburg Fire Dept., a kerosene heater was left on, but no one was home at the time of the fire.
Normally, a woman and her dog live inside the home. However, power inside the house was not working for the past few weeks, so they were staying elsewhere when the fire happened. They are being helped by the Red Cross.
Authorities say it took crews an hour to put the flames out, and crews will remain at the home until around 11 a.m. because of water on the road that could turn to ice. The Virginia Dept. of Transportation is at the scene to throw salt down to prevent ice from forming.
Authorities say the fire is still under investigation.
Crews are on the scene of a structure fire in Campbell County.
The fire is reportedly on Mountain Lane in Rustburg, and authorities received the call around 7 a.m.
Authorities were not able to provide any further information.
Stay with 10 News for more information as this breaking news story develops.