SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, Va. – A Smith Mountain Lake home was damaged by a fire late Saturday night, according to firefighters. Officials said the fire was caused by a gas grill, and crews told WSLS 10 News it spread rapidly due to windy conditions.
At about 11 p.m., crews were sent to Lighthouse Lane for the report of the fire.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they could see a heavy fire coming from the backside of the house on the deck. More than two dozen first responders were on the scene.
According to authorities, all eight people who were inside at the time of the fire got out safely, including an elderly woman.
Crews report the home is a “total loss.”
The Bedford County Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.