Danville fire leaves 70-year-old woman dead, caused by overloaded extension cords, crews say

We’re told the incident happened on Monday morning

A woman lost her life in a Danville house fire early Monday morning. (River City TV)


The victim who died following a fire at 512 Lewis Street in Danville on Monday has been identified.

Danville officials identified the woman as 70-year-old Annette Howard, who lived at the residence.


The cause of the fire that left one woman dead on Monday morning was determined to be accidental, according to the Danville Fire Department.

After further investigation, Danville crews say that overloaded extension cords caused the fire.


A woman has passed away after a Danville house fire early Monday morning, according to the Danville Fire Department.

Shortly before 4 a.m., crews were alerted about a fire in the 500 block of Lewis Street, with residents trapped inside.

After arriving at the scene, authorities learned that there was a woman stuck inside her bedroom as heavy fire and smoke came from the house.

When the fire department helped the woman escape the burning home, they immediately began CPR. She was then transported to a hospital, where she later died.

Authorities told 10 News that the other resident in the home made it out safely and would not accept treatment from The Danville Life Saving Crew and fire personnel.

The Danville Life Saving Crew, the Danville Police Department and the Danville Utilities Department all responded to the incident.

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation by the Danville Fire Marshal’s Office.

About the Authors:

Jazmine Otey joined the 10 News team in February 2021.

Alli Graham came aboard the digital team as an evening digital content producer in June 2022.