RICHMOND, Va. – There are now 89,888 cases of the coronavirus in Virginia as of July 31.
Friday’s total of 89,888 marks an increase from Thursday’s total of 88,904 cases.
Here’s a breakdown of the 984 new coronavirus cases in Virginia:
- 100 new cases in Norfolk
- 76 new cases in Virginia Beach
- 60 new cases in Chesterfield County
- 59 new cases in Chesapeake
- 54 new cases in Prince William County
- 45 new cases in Portsmouth
- 36 new cases in Richmond
- 34 new cases in Hampton
- 33 new cases in Lynchburg and Suffolk
- 32 new cases in Henrico County
- 29 new cases in Newport news
- 25 new cases in Bedford County
- 23 new cases in Arlington County and Prince Edward County
- 19 new cases in Alexandria
- 16 new cases in Petersburg
- 15 new cases in Charlottesville
- 14 new cases in Spotsylvania County
- 12 new cases in Campbell County
- 10 new cases in Fairfax County, Loudoun County and Henry County
- 9 new cases in Roanoke, Danville and Montgomery County
- 8 new cases in York County and Manassas
- 7 new cases in Rockingham County, James City County, Pittsylvania County and Bristol
- 6 new cases in Stafford County, Washington County and Tazewell County
- 5 new cases in Smyth County and Southampton County
- 4 new cases in Amherst County, Scott County, Wise County, Caroline County, Grayson County and Culpeper County
- 3 new cases in Fluvanna County, Fredericksburg, Clarke County, Augusta County, Warren County and Nottoway County
- 2 new cases in Manassas Park, Botetourt County, Isle of Wight County, Frederick County, Carroll County, Buchanan County, Shenandoah County, Harrisonburg Orange County, Powhatan County, Albemarle County, Galax, Wythe County, Franklin City, New Kent County, Madison County, Charles City County, Greensville County, Patrick County, Salem, Giles County and Radford
- 1 new case in Franklin County, Appomattox County, Hanover County, Dinwiddie County, Dickenson County, Floyd County, Prince George County, Rockbridge County, Hopewell, King William County, Goochland County, Covington, Waynesboro, Lunenburg County, Gloucester County, King George County, Northumberland County, Winchester, Buckingham County, Williamsburg City, Colonial Heights, Charlotte County, Poquoson, Essex County, Cumberland County and Norton
As of Friday, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports there have been 1,211,622 total testing encounters.
The term “testing encounters” includes individuals who have been tested more than once due to their profession, high-risk status or need for a negative result to return to work. The health department started using this metric on May 1. To learn more, click here.