RICHMOND, Va. – There are now 109,882 cases of the coronavirus in Virginia as of August 20.
Thursday’s total of 109,882 marks an increase from Wednesday’s total of 109,019 cases.
Here is a breakdown of the 863 new coronavirus cases in Virginia:
- 100 new cases in Fairfax County
- 66 new cases in Prince William County
- 40 new cases in Virginia Beach
- 34 new cases in Loudoun County
- 29 new cases in Norfolk
- 27 new cases in Chesterfield County and Lynchburg
- 26 new cases in Chesapeake
- 25 new cases in Richmond
- 22 new cases in Henrico County
- 21 new cases in Alexandria and Portsmouth
- 19 new cases in Roanoke
- 18 new cases in Henry County
- 17 new cases in Arlington County
- 15 new cases in Pittsylvania County
- 14 new cases in Newport News
- 13 new cases in Stafford County and Spotsylvania County
- 12 new cases in Petersburg
- 11 new cases in Hampton and Bedford County
- 10 new cases in Danville and James City County
- 9 new cases in Albemarle County and Amherst County
- 8 new cases in Appomattox County and Fredericksburg
- 7 new cases in Suffolk, Wise County, Hanover County, Smyth County and Buckingham County
- 6 new cases in Campbell County, King George County and Halifax County
- 5 new cases in Manassas, Fauquier County, Culpeper County, Martinsville, Brunswick County, Tazewell County, Russell County, Scott County, Warren County and Mecklenburg County
- 4 new cases in Augusta County, Frederick County, Carroll County, Charlottesville, Louisa County, Dinwiddie County, Patrick County, Manassas Park, Caroline County, Powhatan County, Montgomery County, Amelia County, Roanoke County and Page County
- 3 new cases in Radford, Winchester, Franklin County, Salem, Pulaski County, Greene County, Lunenburg County and Lancaster County
- 2 new cases in Prince George County, Isle of Wight County, Washington County, Accomack County, Gloucester County, Franklin, Colonial Heights, Fairfax and Richmond County
- 1 new case in Emporia, Greensville County, Hopewell, Buchanan County, York County, Floyd County, Williamsburg, New Kent County, Waynesboro, Shenandoah County, Charles City County, Nelson County, Cumberland County, Poquoson, Lexington, Staunton, Sussex County, Surry County, Falls Church, Buena Vista, Rappahannock County, Northampton County, Dickenson County and Botetourt County
- Westmoreland County and King William County have decreased by one case
For the week of Aug. 16, the health department expects an influx of data due to some labs now starting to report results electronically instead of by fax.
This delayed data is the reason that Galax saw 32 new cases on Wednesday, according to Mount Rogers Health District Population Health Manager Breanne Forbes Hubbard.
As of Thursday, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports there have been 1,535,931 total testing encounters.
The term “testing encounters” includes individuals who have been tested more than once due to their profession, high-risk status or need for a negative result to return to work. The health department started using this metric on May 1. To learn more, click here.