RICHMOND, Va. – There are now 116,579 cases of the coronavirus in Virginia as of August 27.
Thursday’s total of 116,579 marks an increase from Wednesday’s total of 115,458 cases.
Here’s the breakdown of today’s 1,121 new cases:
- 81 new cases in Fairfax County
- 66 new cases in Prince William County
- 55 new cases in Virginia Beach
- 39 new cases in Henrico County
- 38 new cases in Loudoun County
- 37 new cases in Norfolk and Lynchburg
- 35 new cases in Chesapeake
- 32 new cases in Richmond
- 31 new cases in Chesterfield County
- 29 new cases in Radford and Roanoke City
- 25 new cases in Henry County
- 24 new cases in Spotsylvania
- 23 new cases in Newport News
- 22 new cases in Arlington County and Hampton
- 21 new cases in Martinsville
- 19 new cases in Portsmouth and Roanoke County
- 18 new cases in Harrisonburg
- 17 new cases in Suffolk, Pittsylvania County and Danville
- 14 new cases in Stafford County and Fredericksburg
- 13 new cases in Culpeper County and Washington County
- 12 new cases in Bedford County
- 11 new cases in Rockingham County
- 10 new cases in Albermarle County and Isle of Wight County
- 9 new cases in Alexandria, Charlottesville, Gloucester County and Campbell County
- 8 new cases in Smyth County and Wise County
- 7 new cases in Petersburg, Montgomery County, Mecklenburg County, York County, Franklin City, Halifax County, Grayson County, Fauquier County and Dinwiddie County
- 6 new cases in Manassas, Lee County, Tazewell County, James City County and Brunswick County
- 5 new cases in Hanover County, Appomattox County and Greensville County
- 4 new cases in Patrick County, Buckingham County, Prince George County, King George County, Augusta County, Sussex County, Fluvanna County, Bristol, Poquoson, Amherst County and Richmond County
- 3 new cases in Hopewell, Salem, Frederick County, Orange County, Nottoway County, Emporia, Accomack County, Lunenburg County, Waynesboro and Staunton, Covington
- 2 new cases in Southampton County, Warren County, Russell County, Powhatan County, Amelia County, Rockbridge County, Williamsburg, Westmoreland County, Nelson County and Caroline County
- 1 new case in Goochland County, Floyd County, Pulaski County, Botetourt County, Louisa County, Carroll County, Prince Edward County, Lancaster County, New Kent County, Dickenson County, Greene County, King and Queen County, Buena Vista, Shenandoah County, Essex County, Clarke County, Middlesex County and Lexington
Winchester is now reporting four fewer cases. The Virginia Department of Health has previously told 10 News that, numbers on the websites are preliminary, and changes of this nature are due to inaccurate residency information that was later corrected.
As of Thursday, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports there have been 1,642,867 total testing encounters.
The term “testing encounters” includes individuals who have been tested more than once due to their profession, high-risk status or need for a negative result to return to work. The health department started using this metric on May 1. To learn more, click here.