RICHMOND, Va. – As of August 28, Virginia is now reporting 117,592 cases of the coronavirus across the commonwealth since March.
Friday’s total of 117,592 marks an increase from Thursday’s total of 116,579 cases.
Here is a breakdown of today’s new cases:
- 125 new cases in Fairfax County
- 71 new cases in Prince William County
- 53 new cases in Loudoun County
- 43 new cases in Henrico County
- 35 new cases in Arlington County
- 31 new cases in Norfolk
- 30 new cases in Virginia Beach and Radford
- 28 new cases in Richmond and Chesterfield County
- 26 new cases in Newport News
- 25 new cases in Lynchburg, Chesapeake and Portsmouth
- 24 new cases in Harrisonburg
- 21 new cases in Stafford Couty
- 19 new cases in Pittsylvania County, Alexandria and Charlottesville
- 16 new cases in Montgomery County
- 15 new cases in Isle of Wight County
- 14 new cases in Hampton and Roanoke County
- 13 new cases in Suffolk
- 12 new cases in Bedford County, Albermarle County and Smyth County
- 11 new cases in Fauquier County
- 10 new cases in Roanoke City, Spotsylvania County and Rockingham County
- 9 new cases in Botetourt County
- 7 new cases in Danville, Dinwiddie County, Appomattox County and Prince George County
- 6 new cases in Henry County, Washington County and Hanover County
- 5 new cases in Lee County and Prince Edward County
- 4 new cases in Franklin City, Manassas, Patrick County, Sussex County, Amherst County, Caroline County, Louisa County Franklin County and Scott County
- 3 new cases in Campbell County, Petersburg, Mecklenburg County, James City County, Greensville County, Orange County, Nottoway County, Russell County, Pulaski County, Carroll County, Wythe County, Manassas Park and Charlotte County
- 2 new cases in Martinsville, Fredericksburg, Gloucester County, Halifax County, Tazewell County, Brunswick County, King George County, Bristol, Salem, Accomack County, Powhatan County, Amelia County, Lancaster County, Greene County, Essex County, Rappahannock County and Page County
- 1 new case in Culpeper County, Augusta County, Hopewell, Lunenburg County, Covington, Southampton County, Goochland County, New Kent County, Shenandoah County, Clarke County, Fairfax County, Alleghany County, King William County, Colonial Heights, Surry County and Madison County
Richmond County is now reporting two fewer cases while Wise County, Fluvanna County, Frederick County, Warren County and Winchester are reporting one fewer case. The Virginia Department of Health has previously told 10 News that, numbers on the websites are preliminary, and changes of this nature are due to inaccurate residency information that was later corrected.
As of Friday, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports there have been 1,661,712 total testing encounters.
The term “testing encounters” includes individuals who have been tested more than once due to their profession, high-risk status or need for a negative result to return to work. The health department started using this metric on May 1. To learn more, click here.