House fire in Roanoke County causes $15,000 in damages

ROANOKE COUNTY (WSLS 10) - A Roanoke County woman's home caught on fire while she was asleep.

The woman was asleep Friday morning when her smoke alarm woke her. She had realized there was smoke in the house and called 911.

Roanoke County Fire & Rescue crews were called to the 5400 block of Stayman Drive at just after 6 a.m. for a reported structure fire.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and saw the woman's home with  a light haze showing.

Fire crews say they were able to control the fire after about 20 minutes and contained it to one bedroom.

Investigators have determined the fire was sparked by a battery in a laptop in one of the woman's bedrooms.

Total damage estimates are $15,000.

Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved