Man hospitalized after early-morning house fire near Salem VA Medical Center

At least one dog died in the fire

By Jeff Williamson - Digital Content Manager, Jessica Jewell - Weekend Anchor / Reporter

ROANOKE, Va. - One man was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire early Monday morning.

At about 5:38 a.m., Roanoke Fire-EMS, with help from the Salem Fire & EMS Department, responded to a house fire in the 2300 block of Bainbridge Drive NW.

At least one dog died in the fire, but first responders were able to rescue some puppies.

A woman who was also inside the home at the time of the fire escaped unharmed.

Fire officials say the fire was started due to combustibles being too close to a heat source.

Damages are estimated to be about $130,000, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.

Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.