WSLS 10, a Graham Media Group media hub, NBC affiliated station in Roanoke, VA is seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic and results oriented Assistant News Director to join our News team. You’ll live, work, and play in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, plus, you’re only a short drive to major metropolitan areas.
The ideal candidate will work with the News Director to help lead our team of journalists to produce compelling stories for on-air and develop enhanced online storytelling techniques. The candidate will possess leadership and coaching skills and is able to direct, motivate and develop our team while maintaining a strong newsroom culture. This individual must be able to perform well under pressure, communicate with all levels of management and staff and meet deadlines. Candidate must have excellent news judgment and a passion for breaking news and weather that translates across all station platforms. Qualified candidates will understand the importance of bringing value and impact to audiences through advocacy journalism. Flexible schedule is required.
• Excellent news judgment, storytelling and showcasing skills required. • Work with producers and MMJs/Reporters on day-to-day, including review all scripts. • Help producers and on-air talent convey urgency and timeliness in newscasts. • Manage and train newscast producers • Execute strategic planning across all platforms. • Other responsibilities as assigned.
• This is an excellent opportunity for an Executive Producer or large market Producer with at least five years of experience.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. • Excellent writing and visual storytelling skills.
• Must be a self-starter, possessing a great attitude and an interest in mentoring younger journalists
• The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, remain calm under pressure and mange deadlines • College degree in Journalism/Communications preferred.
To apply please send links of your work, resume, and references to:
Scott Flannigan, WSLS 10 News Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to successful candidates.
WSLS 10 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to complying with the requirements of federal law, WSLS 10 will comply with applicable state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination.
Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening, investigative background check, employment / education verifications and reference checks. You must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable under VA. Law.