Update: 65-year-old Robert Carter, the resident at the home of the fire has been identified as the victim of the fire. He and his dog were killed during the blaze. Fire officials say it appears that the smoke detectors were not working in the home.
BEDFORD (WSLS 10) – One person is dead after an early morning house fire in Bedford. This is the county's second fatal fire in four days.
According to the Bedford County Fire Department and Rescue, the fire happened in the Montvale area of western Bedford County on Adventure Mountain Road. When the first units arrived on scene, heavy fire and smoke throughout the one-story, double-wide mobile home could be seen.
Crews were able to search the home and found a 65-year-old man in a bedroom who had died in the fire. Firefighters were able to pull the man out of the burning home, but say he was already deceased. Police have identified the man as Robert Carter. His dog was also killed in the blaze.
The double-wide mobile home received significant fire damage
Investigators from the Bedford County Fire Marshal's Office are on scene conducting their investigation. Fire Marshal Jeff Pauley says more information about the incident will be released once their investigation is complete.
Pauley says at this time there is no determination of a cause or origin of the fire, or indication that smoke detectors were an issue.
The Bedford Fire Department, an assisting agency is however, urging the public to use working smoke detectors.
Free smoke detectors and installation can be obtained by contacting 540-587-0700.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved