ROANOKE, Va. – As the search for a murder suspect continues in Roanoke, schools and several businesses are closing as a precaution.
Authorities are searching the area for Michael Brown, who is wanted for allegedly murdering his mother’s boyfriend. Brown has been charged with second-degree murder and remains at large.
Police have told those who live within a half-mile radius of Patrick Henry High School to shelter in place.
Authorities urge anyone who lives in the area to make sure their doors are locked and to report any suspicious activity.
- All Roanoke city schools
- Roanoke Catholic
- Rivermont School Roanoke Valley, all schools
- Oliver Hill School
- Virginia Western Community College
- TAP Raleigh Court Head Start Center, all other TAP locations open
- The Science Museum of Western Virginia
- Raleigh Court branch of Roanoke Public Libraries
- Scratch Biscuit Company
- Roanoke Co+op - Closing early at 5 p.m. to allow employees and shoppers to get home before dark
Roanoke County schools are operating on a normal schedule.