DANVILLE, Va. – City of Danville Power and Light employee Samuel Thompson was electrocuted Thursday morning while working on a power line on Applewood Drive in Pittsylvania County.
The accident took place around 8 a.m. Thompson and a co-worker were responding to a power outage in the neighborhood.
Utilities Director Jason Grey said Thompson was inside the elevated bucket truck when the accident occurred. Utility, fire and rescue crews responded.
"We are deeply saddened to lose a member of the Danville utilities family,” Grey said. “This is a difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sam’s family, friends and co-workers.”
City Manager Ken Larking added, "My heart goes out to Sam’s family and his friends. We have a close-knit group of co-workers in our utilities division who are grieving his loss. He was well regarded among his friends here and will be missed."
Thompson, 63, worked as a lineman for the utilities department for more than 20 years.