Here’s a look at some of the stories we’ll be following today as they make headlines across Southwest Virginia:
- William Fleming High School graduation will take place at 10 a.m. at the Berglund Center Friday. If you can’t make it, the graduation will be livestreamed on the RCPS Facebook page. School officials are reminding guest that balloons, noise makers, beach balls, or anything distracting will not be allowed. Security measures will be in place and bags will be subject to search.
- Danville Public School will hold their graduation ceremonies at the Averett University’s North Campus. Galileo Magnet High School’s graduation will take place at 9:00 a.m. and George Washington High School’s graduation will take place at 2:00 p.m.
- The 5th annual Elder Abuse conference will take place virtually starting at 8:45 a.m. It is hosted by the Southwest Virginia Legal Aid Society and the Southwest Virginia Elder Justice Task Force. This year’s focus will be on understanding guardianships. The conference will last until 3:15 p.m. and is free to participate.
- Proceeds for Poverty will kick off at 9:00 a.m. in the Family Life Center gym of the Rainbow Forest Baptist Church. It is a massive 2-day sale in Roanoke where people can go out and shop a huge variety of items. 100% of the proceeds this year will go to help with survivors of sex trafficking.
- The Summer Refreshment Zone starts at 11: 00 a.m. in Downtown Roanoke. Visitors can walk with their alcoholic drinks in a designated outdoor refreshment area. Alcoholic beverages purchased from participating businesses may be consumed in outdoor public spaces during specified times within the specified zone. For more details on the Summer Refreshment Zone, visit our website at wsls.com.
- The VR Center will hold its grand opening at its Salem location. The veteran owned company is located at 2012 Apperson Drive. The event will start at 1:00 p.m.
- There will be a Dock Party at the Rescue Mission of Roanoke from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the G. Wayne Fralin Free Clinic on the campus of the Rescue Mission. Guests and community members can come out ad enjoy live music, food and more.
- The Blue Eagle Credit Union’s Insta-Jammin Rock Art featuring Jane Gabrielle as she unveils her “Music is My Freedom” work. It is being held at Dr. Pepper Park. This innovative art show is one of several the Blue Eagle Credit Union and Dr. Pepper Park is putting on, giving artists a chance to showcase their work primarily made from recycled, upcycled and re-purposed materials. The concert kicks off at 6 p.m.
- It is National Iced Tea Day at McAlister’s Deli. This year, McAlister’s Deli is creating their exclusive LTO Sweet Tea Ice Cream with Sugar Cookie and Lemon Swirl. This is the first time they have ever transformed their iconic beverage into an ice cream and was inspired by an April Fool’s joke in 2021.
Have a great Friday!