LYNCHBURG, Va. – What was originally announced as a voluntary curfew has now been given teeth, but not until tomorrow.
Starting at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Lynchburg police have the authority to enforce a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
The curfew was announced Monday afternoon, and although the curfew is in effect Monday night, police will not be enforcing it.
Beginning Tuesday night, curfew violations will be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Under the curfew, people should not be present on any street, road and park with the following exceptions:
- People traveling to and from home, work, or places of worship
- Hospital personnel
- Members of the press
- State and City of Lynchburg employees and volunteers
- Military personnel including, but not limited to, National Guard troops
- Employees of public utility companies
- Private emergency medical transport workers
- Persons seeking emergency services
- Homeless persons