One Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong watched with admiration while UFC President Dana White rushed his mixed martial arts promotion back into competition last month amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Sityodtong still plans to be a bit more measured on his own path to get One Championship back in the cage during this unprecedented public health crisis.
One Championship definitely will return to action this summer, Sityodtong told The Associated Press on Wednesday. But the promotion has not finalized a date or location for its first fights.
Sityodtong is working with government officials and health experts on the fastest path back in China, Thailand and Singapore, One Championship's hometown. Once he finalizes his plans, Sityodtong plans to speed up One's calendar to hold as many events as prudently possible in 2020.
But One Championship, which held its most recent show Feb. 28, is proceeding down this difficult path more deliberately than the UFC.
“Of course I give mad respect to Dana White for having the courage and the vision to pull off events in such a tricky time,” Sityodtong told the AP. “At One Championship, we have the same level of intensity, but I would say we are a little more prudent, because safety is our highest priority. We are not in a rush to come back just for the sake of coming back due to our financial commitments to broadcasters and brands and whatnot. We want to come back in an environment where we are sure that we can do it safely for all parties involved.”
Sityodtong also faces far different public health obstacles than the UFC, which came up with a detailed safety protocol that assuaged athletic commissions in Florida and Nevada.
One Championship holds its fights all around the Pacific Rim and Asia, appearing in nine countries in 2019. Each nation provides unique health concerns, different fighter visa issues, and larger governmental regulatory bodies to appease than a state athletic commission.