Daytime Kitchen: Bacon-Onion Marmalade
Amina Dudley and William Dye are in the Kitchen from Pumpernickel Pickle Catering to share their Sirlion Sliders and a recipe for Bacon-Onion Marmalade.
8- strips thick-cut bacon (smokier the better) - diced
2 lbs White Onions diced
½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup red wine
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup dark brown sugar
10 drops liquid smoke
1. Place a pot over medium heat. Add the diced bacon bits. You want to render the fat. Get the bacon crispy. Sift out the bacon bits with a slotted spoon and put to the side.
2. Turn up the heat to medium-high and the onions. Stir well, covering the onions with the rendered bacon fat. Cook until the onions are golden brown.
3. Add the sugar, brown sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Cook over medium/low heat until it thickens. I usually start at a higher heat and slowly crank it down until it's quite thick. Be sure to stir regularly and avoid the sugar burning the pan.
4. A couple minutes before it fully thickens you can add back in the bacon bits. At this point add the liquid smoke.
5. Once thickened remove from heat and fill up some glass jars. Refrigerated, it will store for at least a couple months.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved