Garage-fire in Roanoke County causes $50,000 in damages
ROANOKE COUNTY (WSLS 10) - A fire that engulfed a two-car garage on Wednesday caused an about $50,000 worth of damage.
The fire happened in the 3000 block of Lock Have Drive.
The owner of the home was inside at the time the fire sparked and was not aware her garage was on fire until help arrived.
After repeated unanswered attempts to warn the homeowner by pounding on the front door,
A deputy fire marshal with Roanoke County Fire and Rescue had to force-open her front door after he repeatedly tried to get her attention. She was startled but okay.
The department says the fire was caused by a recently used lawn mower that sparked a flame and then spread to nearby combustibles.
Firefighter contained the fire to the garage, preserving the rest of the home.
Fire officials advise operators of lawn mowers to allow a hot mower to cool off for at least 30 minutes before storing and make sure combustibles are more than three-feet away.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved