Crews stop fire at Roanoke County landfill
Call for fire came in shortly after 4 p.m.
ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. – Crews have extinguished a structure fire at a landfill in Roanoke County.
The fire, which was determined to have been sparked by a welding operation, was burning at the Smith Gap Regional Landfill, according to Roanoke County Fire & Rescue.
The welding was taking place on a garbage tipper machine when combustible materials ignited in that area, causing a fire in the garbage tipper.
When the first crews arrived, they reported heavy brown smoke coming from the side of the building, according to Jennifer Conley Sexton with Roanoke County Fire & Rescue.
A call for the fire came in shortly after 4 p.m. from staff at the landfill and told dispatchers they evacuated the building.
Crews at the scene marked the fire under control in about 30 minutes, according to Sexton, who also say there were no injuries reported.
The fire department said the facility's sprinkler system extinguished most of the flames.
Damage estimates are between $5,000-$10,000.
The landfill is owned by the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority.
Firefighters from the Masons Cove, Catawba and Fort Lewis stations responded to the fire.
Fire investigators are now on scene.
Copyright 2018 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.