Fatal Roanoke fire caused by smoking materials, officials say

Authorities say they are still estimating the damages to the building and its contents

Crews continue to investigate a late night fire that left one dead and four others hurt

ROANOKE, Va.UPDATE - Sept. 21, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.

The Fire Marshal’s Office determined a fatal fire in Southwest Roanoke that displaced dozens and lead to the death of one person to be accidental, resulting from smoking materials that weren’t properly discarded.

Roanoke Fire-EMS initially said that damages were estimated to be $1,650,000, but has since corrected that statement to say that the damage to the building and its contents has yet to be determined.

Authorities say approximately 100 people and multiple pets have been displaced.

One individual was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.

No injuries to Fire-EMS have been reported, according to authorities.

ORIGINAL STORY - Sept. 21, 2022

One person has died and several others are in the hospital following an apartment fire in Southwest Roanoke, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.

Authorities say they were called to Stratford Village Apartments in the 3700 block of Stratford Park Drive shortly before midnight.

We’re told the fire took about 10 engines to put out.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find multiple people in cardiac arrest.

Several residents were rescued from the building and five people were taken to local hospitals, according to the fire department. Of those five, one person passed away, two have life-threatening injuries and two have minor injuries, according to authorities.

We spoke with a resident who was able to get out safely. She said she woke up to firefighters banging on her door.

“Made my way out...found as many of my friends as I could,” said Glenda Rahr. “I have since been able to go into my apartment and get my medications and clothes and stuff. I don’t like being displaced from my home.”

We’re told people in 70 apartments have been displaced and taken to the Berglund Center.

Pamela Fleming was reunited with her dog Dazzle.

Fleming and the animal were separated after firefighters came to her apartment late Tuesday evening.

Fleming was one of about 3 dozen people who were at the Berglund Center getting help from volunteers with Red Cross.

“There have been very helpful with everyone being here,” Fleming said.

The American Red Cross will also be assisting with housing and food for about 40 people for the next three days.

The fire remains under investigation.

Stay with 10 News as this breaking news story develops

About the Authors:

Jazmine Otey joined the 10 News team in February 2021.

Brittany Wier joined the 10 News team as the morning reporter in August 2021.