ROANOKE, Va. – UPDATE 9:15 p.m.:
Roanoke Fire-EMS provided an update with more information about the deadly fire that happened on Wednesday morning.
On Wednesday at 5:56 a.m., crews said they were dispatched to the 400 block of Albermarle Ave SW for reports of a structure fire.
Crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from the two-story duplex, authorities said.
Because of the fire conditions, the fire department said they called a second alarm to provide more resources at the scene.
We’re told two people escaped the house on their own, one of whom was sent to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Roanoke Fire-EMS said, unfortunately, the third person inside of the home and a dog died as a result of the fire. Two firefighters were also injured in the fire and walked away with non-life-threatening burn injuries.
Earlier today, firefighters told 10 News there were four people involved in the incident, but their update clarified there were only three people involved.
Crews said there were no fire alarms found inside the home, and said they’ve determined the fire was accidental, caused by smoking materials that were not properly discarded.
Roanoke Fire-EMS said the home was deemed a total loss and shared the following safety recommendations related to smoking:
- Don’t smoke in bed,
- Be alert when you are smoking,
- Smoke outside,
- Use deep, sturdy ashtrays when smoking, or use a metal can or pail if ashtrays are not available.
If you live in the City of Roanoke and do not have smoke alarms in your home, authorities said you can have alarms provided and installed at no cost. You can request smoke alarms by calling 540-853-2795 or completing this form.
One person is dead and two firefighters are hurt following an early morning house fire in Southwest Roanoke, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
Authorities said it happened in the 400 block of Albemarle Ave.
Both firefighters have non-life-threatening burn injuries and one was hospitalized, authorities say.
According to Roanoke Fire-EMS on Wednesday morning, three people were home at the time of the fire, but later that afternoon, firefighters told 10 News there were four people inside.
A dog has died as well, crews said.
Authorities told 10 News that the fire was marked a second alarm due to heavy fire conditions.
Fifth Street and Albemarle Avenue were closed as crews responded to the fire.
Stay with 10 News as this breaking news story develops