Liberty University and Tap in Roanoke offering free tax services

ROANOKE, Va. – Tax season is in full swing, and there are free tax services being offered in our region that could make filing your taxes less stressful.

Starting Wednesday, Feb. 1, you can visit the Dumas Center in Roanoke for a free tax clinic with Total Action For Progress (TAP) to ensure your taxes are done correctly. With the service, you can also get help with applying for tax credits you qualify for.

Walk-ins won’t be allowed as the clinic is available through appointment only. It’ll be open from Monday to Wednesday at 9 a.m. and from 2 to 4 p.m. and again on Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The clinic will be closed on Thursdays until March 9.

For your visit, you will need to fill out intake paperwork and be interviewed. Be sure to bring your W-2s and all other tax documents as well.

Tax returns will be prepared and be available to sign and e-file within 10 business days.

To make an appointment, contact TAP at or 540-283-4804.

Liberty University Law will also be preparing taxes for free for those in the Hill City from Feb. 4 to March 9. It’ll take place at the Liberty University School of Law in Green Hall on Thursday and Saturday and at Liberty University School of Business on Tuesday.

The university’s services will only be offered to those with an income or joint income that’s less than $54,000. If you and your spouse plan on filing jointly, both of you must be present.

Appointments won’t be required to receive tax assistance, but it is on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to make a reservation.

Here’s a look at when you’ll be able to get help with your taxes at Liberty University:

  • Feb. 4, Feb. 11, Feb. 18, Feb. 25 and March 4 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Feb. 7, Feb. 14, Feb. 21, Feb. 28 and March. 7 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
  • Feb. 9, Feb. 16, Feb. 23 and March 2 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

You will need the following:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit (blank check)
  • If applicable, the total paid for a daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (social security number or business Employer Identification Number)
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Have any more questions? Call 434-592-5300!

About the Author:

Jazmine Otey joined the 10 News team in February 2021.