RICHMOND, Va. – There are now 259 “presumptively positive” cases of the coronavirus in Virginia as of March 23.
Monday’s 259 cases mark an increase from 222 on Sunday, 158 on Saturday, 124 on Friday, 101 cases on Thursday and 67 on Wednesday.
Monday’s 254 cases cases reported by the Virginia Department of Health do not include the Virginia Beach man in his 70s, who died, a woman in her 30s living in the Lord Fairfax Health District, a woman in her 50s who lives in the Chesapeake Health District, a man in his 60s who lives in the Eastern Shore Health District or a Rockbridge County woman in her 70s.
Here’s a breakdown of Virginia’s 37 new cases:
- A Virginia Beach man in his 70s who died. He had underlying health conditions and is the seventh person to die from the coronavirus in Virginia.
- 12 people in Fairfax County
- Eight people in Arlington County
- Three people in Henrico County
- Two people in Richmond
- One person in Chesterfield County
- One person in Hanover County
- One person in Norfolk
- One person in James City County
- One person in Stafford County
- One person in Louisa County
- One person in Alexandria
- A woman in her 30s living in the Lord Fairfax Health District. This district is comprised of Shenandoah, Page, Warren, Clarke and Frederick counties, as well as the city of Winchester.
- A woman in her 50s who lives in Chesapeake.
- A man in his 60s who lives in the Eastern Shore Health District. This disctrict is comprised of Northampton and Accomack counties.
- A Rockbridge County woman in her 70s.
These cases are “presumptively positive,” meaning they are pending confirmatory testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
As of Monday at noon, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports that 3,697 people have been tested.
The Virginia Department of Health defines Southwest Virginia to include the following counties and cities:
- Counties: Alleghany, Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Bland, Botetourt, Buchanan, Campbell, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Franklin, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Pulaski, Roanoke, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise and Wythe
- Cities: Bristol, Covington, Danville, Galax, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Norton, Radford, Roanoke and Salem