Raiders cut 2020 1st rounder Arnette over social media post
The Las Vegas Raiders waived 2020 first-round pick Damon Arnette and have now cut ties with both first-round picks from that draft before the midpoint of their second season. General manager Mike Mayock called it a “painful decision” to release Arnette on Monday but said it was necessary in response to a social media post with Arnette brandishing a gun and threatening to kill someone. “There have been a series of bad decisions over the last year or so, but we can’t stand for the video of Damon with a gun threatening to take a life,” Mayock said.news.yahoo.com
Gruden optimistic Carr can start for Raiders
“I’m not going to say anything other than I’m optimistic, but I’m not a mind reader,” coach Jon Gruden said Thursday. “I just know he had an injury that caused him to miss the game last week and I’m respectful of that. If for some reason Carr can’t play, Marcus Mariota is in position to make his first start for the Raiders. S Erik Harris and DB Daryl Worley also are on the COVID-19 list. ... WR Henry Ruggs III returned to practice from the COVID-19 list and Gruden is hopeful he will play.
AP source: Raiders fined, docked pick for COVID violations
The Las Vegas Raiders and coach Jon Gruden have been fined a total $650,000 and docked a sixth-round draft pick for repeated violations of the NFL’s COVID-19 protocols. While several teams have been fined so far this season, the Raiders are the first to be penalized a draft pick following multiple violations. Gruden was fined $100,000 and the team docked $250,000 after the coach didn’t wear his mask properly during a Week 2 win over New Orleans. The team also was fined $50,000 for allowing an unauthorized employee in the locker room after the game. Tight end Darren Waller was fined $30,000 and nine teammates, including quarterback Derek Carr, were fined $15,000 for attending an indoor charity event held by Waller’s foundation that violated local coronavirus protocols.
Derek Carr adds running threat for Raiders this season
In Gruden’s first stint with the team, Rich Gannon had great success as a scrambler, ranking fourth among all quarterbacks from 1999-2001 with 1,058 yards rushing. He also lowered his shoulder and took a big hit fighting for extra yards on another run. “I feel like as a football fan, whenever the quarterback does that kind of stuff, it pumps the whole sideline up,” Carr said. And Carr has made the most of his runs, turning them into nine first downs — including eight in his past four games. He believes that threat will open up more opportunities for big plays throwing off scrambles if defenses start playing him to run.
Raiders activate 4 starting linemen from COVID-19 list
The Las Vegas Raiders activated four starting offensive linemen from the COVID-19 list on Saturday after they all tested negative for the coronavirus. Safety Johnathan Abram remains on the COVID-19 list because his last contact with Brown was Tuesday and he will miss this week's game. The NFL moved the Raiders game against the Bucs from prime time to an afternoon slot Sunday in case the game couldn’t be played. But the game is set to be played because the virus didn't spread beyond Brown and cornerback Damon Arnette, who was placed on the COVID-19 list Monday following a positive test. But with four starters now back, the team didn't activate any of the practice squad player for Sunday's game.
AP source: Raiders latest COVID tests all negative
The Las Vegas Raiders’ latest batch of COVID-19 tests all came back negative and their game scheduled for Sunday against Tampa Bay is on for now. “We’ll be ready to go.”The NFL moved the Raiders game against the Buccaneers from prime time to an afternoon slot on Sunday just in case the game couldn’t be played. Those contacts were later deemed “high risk” and those players were placed on the COVID-19 list on Thursday. We’ll be ready to go.”Raiders cornerback Damon Arnette was moved from injured reserve to the COVID-19 list on Monday following a positive test. Defensive tackle Maurice Hurst was put on the COVID-19 list two weeks ago before being activated on Monday.
Raiders place 5 more players on COVID-19 list
The Raiders held practice on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020 without their starting five as they prepare for Sundays home game against Tampa Bay. (AP Photo/Peter Joneleit, File)The Las Vegas Raiders placed four starting offensive linemen and safety Johnathan Abram on the reserve/COVID-19 list after they were determined to be close contacts with a teammate who had tested positive for the coronavirus. The person said video shows the starting offensive linemen were not following the protocols. If not, we have to have somebody step up in his place and play at a high level.”The Raiders have now had eight players placed on the COVID-19 list since the start of the season, including the seven currently on the list. Defensive tackle Maurice Hurst was put on the COVID-19 list two weeks ago before being activated on Monday.
Raiders send starting O-line home after Brown’s COVID test
The Las Vegas Raiders sent all five starting offensive linemen home as part of coronavirus contact tracing after right tackle Trent Brown was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list with a positive test. The Raiders held practice on Wednesday without their starting five as they prepare for Sunday’s home game against Tampa Bay. The Raiders had the week off last week and returned to practice on Monday. The Raiders current starting offensive is left tackle Kolton Miller, left guard Denzelle Good, center Rodney Hudson, right guard Gabe Jackson and Brown. Defensive tackle Maurice Hurst was put on the COVID list two weeks ago before being activated on Monday.
Belichick reaches milestone as Patriots top Raiders 36-20
New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick works along the sideline in the first half of an NFL football game against the Las Vegas Raiders, Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020, in Foxborough, Mass. The Patriots have won the last six meetings with the Raiders and improved to 47-9 in regular-season games following a loss. We can’t stop the run in the second half. “We played the best 30 minutes of football in the second half, which is what we needed,” Belichick said. Following the kickoff, the Raiders got help from a pass interference call on Stephon Gilmore to get into Patriots territory.