Police identify Radford University student who was stabbed to death

Luisa Cutting, 21, charged with second-degree murder

UPDATE

RADFORD, Va. - Police have identified the Radford University student who was found stabbed to death Thursday morning

Alexa Cannon was from Roanoke and graduated from Patrick Henry High School in 2016. She was planning to graduate from Radford University next year.

Cannon was a psychology student who enjoyed photography and loved dogs. Police say her family has been notified of her death.  

Luisa Cutting, 21, from Jeffersonton, Virginia, is charged with second-degree murder. The two were roommates, according to neighbors and Cannon's Instagram account. 

On Instagram, Cannon describes Cutting as her best friend. "I love you more than life," she wrote, to which Cutting replied, "I love you so much."

The two had spent time together in Cancun and had known each other since 2016. They referred to each other as Lex and Lu. 

In one post from March 2018, Cannon mentioned that they would be living together. 

"Everyone pray that we don’t kill each other this year," she wrote. 

ORIGINAL STORY 

A 21-year-old female Radford University student faces a charge of second-degree murder after another woman was found stabbed to death in Radford Thursday morning, according to the Radford Police Department.

Police were dispatched to the 1200 block of Clement Street at 7:45 a.m. in reference to a 911 call.

Officers arrived and found a dead woman who had been stabbed multiple times.

The victim's name is not being released, pending confirmation of her identity and notification of her next of kin. Radford University President Brian Hemphill did identify her as a Radford University student.

Luisa Cutting, 21, from Jeffersonton, Virginia, has been charged with second-degree murder.

Cutting is currently on interim suspension from Radford University.

Cutting was listed as the president of the Latino Student Alliance in a previous article of the Radford University student newspaper.

The killing has sent shockwaves through the Radford community.

"It's just crazy that someone got murdered 20 yards from my front door," said neighbor Jeff Burkett, a Radford University student.

Former classmate and neighbor Paul Toomui said Cutting was a normal, nice college girl. He said he worked on a group project with Cutting their freshman year.

"She was normal. She was social. She would always talk and be willing to talk to people," Toomui said. "I didn't expect it at all."

Hemphill sent this message out to the RU community:

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

Earlier today, the Radford University Police Department distributed a message to students, faculty and staff regarding an off-campus incident that occurred this morning.  Without question, this is a difficult day for our campus and our community.  The days and months to come will also be difficult as we extend our deepest sympathies, as well as our thoughts and prayers, to the family and loved ones of our student, who is not being publicly identified at this time. 

Radford University is a close-knit community and one in which we take great pride in the many connections and strong relationships we develop as we live, learn and work within our inclusive and supportive community.  These qualities are cornerstones of our University and embody the role we have played for more than a century.

I encourage all students, faculty and staff to utilize the counseling services that are being provided.  In talking with others and sharing our hopes, dreams and fears, we find comfort in knowing we are never alone.  At difficult times like this, it is critical that we come together as one Radford family and continue the great work that is occurring each and every day on our campus as we honor those we have lost.

With Deepest Sympathy,

Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D. 
President

The Radford University Police Department sent this message to the campus community, letting them know about counseling services available:

Please be advised that this morning there was an isolated incident that occurred at an off-campus location.  There was no immediate threat to campus or the broader community.  This incident is under the jurisdiction of the City of Radford Police Department and is being handled accordingly.

Due to the nature of the incident, which resulted in the death of one of our students, grief counselors will be available both today (Thursday, January 24, 2019) from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM and tomorrow (Friday, January 25, 2019) from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the lower level of Heth Hall.  The counseling services are being coordinated through the Division of Student Affairs.

This is a tragic moment for our campus community and the Radford family.  During this difficult time, we ask that you provide support to your fellow Highlanders.  

Anybody with any information is asked to contact the Radford City Police Department at 540-731-3624, or email crimestoppers@radfordva.gov.

About the Authors

Watch Rachel weekdays during 10 News at 5:30, 6 and 7 p.m.

Recommended Videos