Here’s a look at some of the stories we’ll be following today as they make headlines across Southwest Virginia:
- TSA officials will offer travel tips and showcase the most common prohibited items that have been brought to the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport. There, they will have visuals, including hundreds of examples of actual prohibited items that travelers have brought to the airport security checkpoints. Officials will be at the Roanoke Regional Airport at 10 a.m. and at the Lynchburg Regional Airport Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Vinton Town Council is calling a special meeting at 2 p.m. One item that will be discussed is the adoption of a resolution authorizing the town manager to execute a Transfer Agreement between the Town of Vinton and the Western Virginia Water Authority for the conveyance of the town’s water and sanitary sewer system to the authority effective July 1. The meeting will take place in Council Chambers.
- The LewisGale Medical Center is having a hiring event for clinical and non-clinical positions. It is happening from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at The Green Goat. The event will include on-the-spot offers and up to $15,000 in sign-on bonuses for select positions.
- Lynchburg City Council will hold a special meeting at 5 p.m. at City Hall. This meeting will be for the purpose of making three appointments to the Lynchburg City School Board. Each member will serve a three-year term beginning July 1 and expiring June 30, 2025.
- Danville City Council will have a meeting at the municipal building at 7 p.m. There, council members will discuss an ordinance affirming the Real Estate Tax Rate of 84 cents on every $100 of assessed value.
- Boys Home of Virginia will be participating in a 24-hour online giving event called Give Local Alleghany Highlands. This is the second year in a row the organization has been involved. Any only donations to Boys Home of Virginia during the power hours will help Boys Home become eligible to win a prize for the most money raised in that hour. There will also be a Golden Ticket Prize drawing each hour from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Power hours are below:
- 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- The Virginia Tech Board of Visitors will continue its two-day meeting today. The board will take part in an information session today and discuss tuition and fees, operating and capital budgets and the innovation campus. Today’s session begins at 1:15 p.m. on campus.
- Water experts will be at Smith Mountain Lake with water tests again. This comes after bacteria were found in May. Swimmers are urged to avoid five small areas of the lake due to high levels of bacteria after the heavy rain. For a list of the five areas a swim advisory has been issued for, visit this story on our website at wsls.com.
Have a great Tuesday!