Residents evacuated after apartment fire in Glasgow

Fire happened in the 800 Block of Fitzlee Street

Several people were evacuated after an apartment fire in Glasgow on Sunday. (Glasgow Volunteer Fire Department)

GLASGOW, Va. – Several residents were evacuated following a kitchen fire in a Glasgow apartment on Sunday, according to the Glasgow Volunteer Fire Department.

Authorities say the fire happened in the 800 Block of Fitzlee Street. Firefighters were alerted that fire alarms and had been going off and smoke was visible.

When crews arrived, the apartment was being evacuated. While crews worked to help evacuate people from the building, there were several locked apartments, including one that smoke was coming from.

Given that the fire department feared there were people inside, they forced entry into the apartment. Crews report that after entering, they found an active fire in the kitchen.

Crews then searched the apartment and knocked down the fire but were forced to leave due to unsafe conditions. More departments arrived to assist, and together, crews were able to extinguish the fire.

Authorities say a school bus was also utilized for temporary shelter and a nearby church was contacted in case the incident was prolonged due to ventilation issues.

.


About the Author:

Jazmine Otey joined the 10 News team in February 2021.