17-year-old girl recovering after electric shock while swimming at Smith Mountain Lake

She was taken to the hospital and released

By Jeff Williamson - Digital Content Manager

SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, Va. - A 17-year-old girl is recovering after she was shocked while in the water at Smith Mountain Lake.

The teen was quickly removed from the water by her 18-year-old boyfriend near the Gills Creek area Saturday, according to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

Officials said the electricity came from aging wiring for a boat lift, a growing problem at the lake.

The teen was taken to the hospital and released.  

Copyright 2018 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.