AP sources: NFL insists on indefinite suspension for Watson
The NFL insisted on an indefinite suspension while Deshaun Watson’s legal team argued there’s no basis for that punishment as both sides presented their cases in front of a retired judge in Delaware on Tuesday, two people in attendance told The Associated Press.
Bauer grievance hearing begins on attempt to overturn ban
The hearing on Trevor Bauer’s attempt to overturn his unprecedented two-year suspension under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy began Monday before an arbitrator. Bauer was suspended by Commissioner Rob Manfred on April 29, a penalty that if unchanged will cost the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher just over $60 million of his $102 million, three-year contract. Arbitrator Martin Scheinman is the independent member and chair of a three-person arbitration panel that includes one representative each from MLB and the players’ association.news.yahoo.com
Dodgers pitcher Bauer files suit against sex abuse accuser
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer sued the woman who accused him of sexual assault in federal court Monday, in a move that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the athlete. The San Diego woman, whom the pitcher had met through social media, had alleged that Bauer beat and sexually abused her last year. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman's accusations beyond a reasonable doubt.news.yahoo.com
Bauer leave extended through April 16 by MLB, players' union
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer will miss the start of the season after his administrative leave was extended through April 16 on Thursday by Major League Baseball and the players’ association. MLB and the union have since agreed to several extensions.news.yahoo.com
Bauer, Arenado, Blackmon, Profar keep deals, don't go free
Right-hander Trevor Bauer, third baseman Nolan Arenado, outfielder Charlie Blackmon and infielder-outfielder Jurickson Profar declined to opt out of their contracts to become free agents. Bauer agreed to a $102 million, three-year deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers in February and began 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts. Elsewhere, the New York Mets announced Saturday they have extended $18.4 million qualifying offers to outfielder Michael Conforto and pitcher Noah Syndergaard — a day ahead of Sunday's deadline.news.yahoo.com
Friedman, Dodgers facing decisions on FAs, Bauer this winter
Andrew Friedman is headed into an offseason filled with crucial decisions involving the Los Angeles Dodgers’ big-name free agents, a rebuild of the starting rotation and Trevor Bauer’s future with the team. As always, Friedman is guided by the ultimate goal of the monied Dodgers, saying, “The number one objective is to put ourselves in the best position to win in 2022.” After coming within two wins of reaching the World Series for the fourth time in five years, the Dodgers' president of baseball operations defined the team's postseason as “our struggle to consistently score runs.”news.yahoo.com
Judge denies woman restraining order against Dodgers' Bauer
A Los Angeles judge sided with Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer on Thursday and denied a restraining order to a woman who said he choked her into unconsciousness and punched her repeatedly during two sexual encounters. In denying the order after a four-day hearing, Judge Dianna Gould-Saltman said that according to the 27-year-old San Diego woman's testimony, Bauer followed her boundaries when she set them, and he couldn't know the boundaries she didn't express to him. The judge said the woman’s petition asking for the domestic violence restraining order was “materially misleading.”news.yahoo.com
'I was terrified,' woman says of night with Dodgers' Bauer
A woman wrapped her own hair around her neck as she sat on the witness stand to demonstrate the way she said Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer used it to choke her into unconsciousness. The 27-year-old San Diego woman is seeking a five-year restraining order against Bauer, who was placed on paid administrative leave on July 2 by Major League Baseball. MLB and police in Pasadena, California, are investigating the woman's allegations, and Bauer could face punishment under baseball's domestic violence policy.news.yahoo.com
Bauer's administrative leave extended through Aug. 13
Trevor Bauer’s administrative leave has been extended for seven days through Aug. 13 by Major League Baseball and the players’ association while the sport’s investigators check into allegations of sexual misconduct against the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher.
Trevor Bauer accuser shares injury photo through lawyer: ‘No one can consent to this’
LOS ANGELES — The woman who says Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer punched and choked her during sex consented Thursday to the public release of an “unredacted” photo showing her alleged injuries, her lawyer said. The photo shows the woman with what appear to be two black eyes. “Look at this picture. No one — absolutely no one — can consent to this, logically or legally,” the woman’s lawyer, Bryan ...news.yahoo.com
Bauer appears in court over woman's sex assault allegations
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer appeared in court Friday to fight the extension of a protective order sought by a woman who says he choked her to the point where she lost consciousness and punched her during two sexual encounters earlier this year. Attorneys for Bauer and the woman revealed during a brief morning court session that they intend to call witnesses and argue over the order in what amounts to a trial that is expected to last three days. The court hearing is expected to resume Friday afternoon, but a judge could decide to postpone the proceedings.news.yahoo.com
Trevor Bauer paid leave extended through July 27 by MLB
Trevor Bauer’s administrative leave was extended by nearly two weeks through July 27 by Major League Baseball and the players’ association while the sport’s investigators check into allegations of sexual misconduct against the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher.
Dodgers' Roberts says Bauer still expected to start Sunday
Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says pitcher Trevor Bauer is still on track to start Sunday against the Washington Nationals while police and Major League Baseball investigate an assault allegation made against the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner.
Attorney: Woman says Dodgers' Trevor Bauer assaulted her
Police are investigating an allegation of assault against Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer and an attorney for the accuser says the woman has obtained a protection order. Major League Baseball also is looking into the allegation. “The Dodgers were made aware of the allegations against Trevor Bauer late this afternoon and immediately contacted MLB, which will be handling this matter," the team said in a statement during its game Tuesday night against San Francisco.news.yahoo.com
Padres beat Dodgers 5-3 for 1st sweep of rivals in 8 seasons
Trent Grisham drew a go-ahead, bases-loaded walk with one out in the eighth and the San Diego Padres hit three solo homers off Trevor Bauer and beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 for their first three-game sweep of the NL West rivals in eight seasons.
Why Trevor Bauer's $102 million deal with the Dodgers is unique
Bauer agreed to a three-year, $102 million deal with the team on Thursday, making him one of the highest-paid players per year, theoretically, as the pact unfolds. If he opts out of the deal, that total becomes $40 million, as the Dodgers would pay him an extra $2 million on his way out. It's $32 million for the year but, should he opt-out, the Dodgers will pay him another $15 million. For example, New York Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole signed a nine-year deal valued at roughly $324 million in 2019. Now 35, Price was traded to the Dodgers last February and is scheduled to make $32 million for the 2021 season.cnbc.com
MLB arbitration deadline roundup: Betts, Bryant, Lindor and more reportedly lock in new deals
There isn't much variation among player salaries in the first several years. MLB players are no longer eligible for arbitration once they hit six years in the Major Leagues and become free agents. Betts and the Boston Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $27 million deal ahead of the deadline, according to a tweet from ESPN's Jeff Passan. There were reports that Indians shortstop Lindor also reached a $17.5 million deal, according to MLB.com. If a settlement has not been reached by the deadline, then each player and the Yankees will face arbitration hearings.cnbc.com