wsls logo

Washington beats Atlanta Falcons, 34-30

Washington Football Team quarterback Taylor Heinicke (4) embraces with Washington Football Team center Tyler Larsen (69) before the first half of an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson) (Brynn Anderson, Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

On Sunday, Washington kicked off its fourth game of the NFL season with a matchup against the Atlanta Falcons.

In a close game, Washington beat the Falcons, 34-30. Sunday’s matchup comes after Washington had a devasting loss against the Buffalo Bills on Sept. 26, 43-21. Washington fought to make up for that loss with a win against the Falcons.

In the first quarter, Falcons placekicker Younghoe Koo knocked down a 25-year field goal, putting the Falcons in the lead.

But in the second quarter, Washington quickly counteracted.

First, we saw Matt Ryan pass to Cordarrelle Patterson, scoring a touchdown for the Falcons and putting them in the lead in the first half, 10-0.

However, it wasn’t long before Washington stepped up to the plate with Terry McLaurin receiving a pass from Taylor Heinicke for 33 yards, making the score 10-7.

Then, with just minutes left in the second quarter, Washington’s Antonio Gibson hit the first rushing touchdown of the season, giving the lead to Washington.

But with just seconds before halftime, the Atlanta Falcons flipped the script. Matt Ryan made a pass to Patterson, putting the Falcons back in the lead and making the score 17-13.

During the second half, both teams were neck and neck.

In the third quarter, we saw scoring plays from Washington’s DeAndre Carter and Dustin Hopkins and the Falcon’s Matt Ryan.

Toward the end of the third quarter, the Falcons managed to put themselves back in the lead, 23-19.

But at the end of the fourth quarter, Washington’s Terry McLaurin received a pass from Taylor Heinicke for 17 yards, putting the score at 30-28.

Then, with just seconds left, Washington’s running back, J.D. McKissic, went airborne to take the lead for Washington, making the score 34-30.

Washington will play against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, Oct. 10.