Eight hospitalized, some with life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning in Roanoke

The cause was usage of a propane tank without proper ventilation

ROANOKE, Va. – Roanoke Fire-EMS transported eight people in northwest Roanoke Sunday early morning for injuries resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning.

At 12:16 a.m., units responded to the 4400 block of Thelma Street NW for a call reporting difficulty breathing.

Authorities said that when crews arrived, they found multiple people in a house garage experiencing varying levels of consciousness and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Crews located a propane tank and a heating element being used without proper ventilation, causing a carbon monoxide build-up in the home.

Due to the number of affected people, additional ambulances, a ladder truck, an EMS supervisor and the Northside Battalion were dispatched to the scene to assist with transport.

Eight patients were transported to the Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Some of the patients have life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide in their bloodstreams.


About the Author:

Nicole Del Rosario joined WSLS 10 in August 2020.