ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. – Roanoke County School Board announced a number of new hires Thursday evening, including a role that garnered attention last month.
Back in March, Roanoke County Public Schools removed its supervisor of performing arts from his role before he even began following concerned citizens waving red flags on social media and emailing the superintendent about the new hire, Nathan Street. However, school officials didn’t disclose what the red flags were.
Now, a familiar face will come out of retirement after one year to fulfill the missing part. Rick Elliot was named the new supervisor of performing arts after he came back in an interim capacity to serve as the supervisor role. Previously a longtime band director at Hidden Valley Middle School, officials said Elliot will serve in a more permanent position.
A brand new position created as a part of the district’s efforts to cultivate an inclusive and respectful learning culture was also announce. School officials said Lori Wimbush will serve as the director of equity and engagement starting July 1. She has been leading as the co-chairperson of the district’s equity committee for the past year and was also the principal at Hidden Valley High School.
“Now, more than ever, we must work to champion a ‘changing hearts and minds’ approach that engages stakeholders in dialogue that raises awareness and results in productive, meaningful and equitable outcomes for all students and staff,” said Dr. Ken Nicely, superintendent of Roanoke County Public Schools said of Wimbush’s new role.
Here’s a breakdown of the additional roles added:
- The current principal at Glenvar Middle School, Josh Whitlow, will return to Hidden Valley High School in July as the school’s new principal. Whitlow will be replacing Wimbush, who was named the director of equity and engagement for the district.
- Amy Duff was selected by the school board to fulfill the role as the new principal of Glenvar Middle School, replacing Whitlow as he moves to Hidden Valley High School.
- Tyler Brown has been named the new assistant principal of Glenvar High School. Brown currently serves as the dean of students and athletic director at the school.
- Nina Rushing will soon fill the position of the new assistant principal at Glenvar Elementary School and Fort Lewis Elementary School.
- New to RCPS, Conner Hill has been named the new assistant principal at W.E. Cundiff Elementary School. Hill taught at an elementary school level in Botetourt County.