ROANOKE, Va. - With the Roanoke School Board voting Monday to change the name of Stonewall Jackson Middle School, there are now 13 public schools in Virginia that have Confederate names, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
The 13 are spread across the commonwealth:
- Lee Davis High School - Hanover County
- Robert E. Lee Elementary School - Spotsylvania County
- Robert E. Lee High School - Staunton
- Robert E. Lee High School - Fairfax County
- Stonewall Jackson Middle School - Hanover County
- Stonewall Jackson Elementary School - Bristol
- Stonewall Elementary School - Frederick County
- Stonewall Jackson Middle School - Manassas
- Stonewall Jackson High School - Manassas
- Stonewall Jackson High School - Shenandoah County
- Stuart Elementary School - Patrick County
- Washington-Lee Elementary School - Bristol
- Washington-Lee High School - Arlington
The SPLC reports that the number of Confederate schools has decreased in Virginia this year as six schools have decided to change their hames this year, with a seventh slated to make the change in 2019.
- A.P. Hill Elementary School - Petersburg
- J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School - Richmond
- J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School - Petersburg
- Jefferson Davis Middle School - Hampton
- The Campus at Lee - Hampton
- Robert E. Lee Elementary School - Petersburg
- J.E.B. Stuart High School - Falls Church (2019)
Copyright 2018 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.