RICHMOND, Va. – There are now 112,072 cases of the coronavirus in Virginia as of August 22.
Saturday’s total of 112,072 marks an increase from Friday’s total of 110,860 cases.
Here’s a breakdown of today’s 1,212 new cases:
- 112 new cases in Fairfax County
- 91 new cases in Prince William County
- 50 new cases in Chesapeake
- 46 new cases in Richmond
- 45 new cases in Virginia Beach and Norfolk
- 43 new cases in Chesterfield County
- 39 new cases in Newport News
- 38 new cases in Greensville County
- 37 new cases in Loudoun County
- 35 new cases in Alexandria and Henrico County
- 28 new cases in Portsmouth
- 27 new cases in James City County
- 23 new cases in Alrington
- 21 new cases in Lynchburg and Tazewell County
- 20 new cases in Hampton
- 18 new cases in Suffolk, Spotsylvania County and Henry County
- 16 new cases in Radford
- 15 new cases in Franklin and Prince Edward County
- 14 new cases in Bedford County and Pittsylvania County
- 13 new cases in Danville
- 12 new cases in Albemarle County and Campbell County
- 11 new cases in Fauquier County
- 10 new cases in Isle of Wight County and Smyth County
- 9 new cases in Stafford County, Carroll County, Charlottesville, Dinwiddie County, Montgomery County and Roanoke County
- 8 new cases in Waynesboro
- 7 new cases in Manassas, Amherst County, Fredericksburg, Rockingham County
- 6 new cases in Augusta County, Frederick County, Southampton County, Shenandoah County and Halifax County
- 5 new cases in Harrisonburg, Washington County, Culpeper County, Louisa County, Martinsville, Appomattox County and Hopewell
- 4 new cases in Prince George County, Hanover County, York County, King George County and Wythe County
- 3 new cases in Emporia, Wise County, Salem, Gloucester County, Lee County, Caroline County, Powhatan County, Warren County, Buckingham County, Cumberland County, Lunenburg County, Sussex County and Covington
- 2 new cases in Galax, Brunswick County, Bristol, Patrick County, Accomack County, Manassas Park, Essex County, Pulaski County, Nelson County, Lexington, Staunton, Mecklenburg County, Lancaster County, Craig County and Botetourt County
- 1 new case in Petersburg, Orange County, Madison County, Floyd County, New Kent County, Rockbridge County, Franklin, Russell County, Giles County, Goochland County, Colonial Heights, Charles City County, King and Queen County, Greene County, Northumberland County, Fluvanna County, Surry County, Amelia County, Grayson County and Alleghany County
For the week of Aug. 16, the health department expects an influx of data due to some labs now starting to report results electronically instead of by fax.
This delayed data is the reason that Galax saw 32 new cases on Wednesday, according to Mount Rogers Health District Population Health Manager Breanne Forbes Hubbard.
As of Saturday, the Virginia Dept. of Health reports there have been 1,572,982 total testing encounters.
The term “testing encounters” includes individuals who have been tested more than once due to their profession, high-risk status or need for a negative result to return to work. The health department started using this metric on May 1. To learn more, click here.