The man charged with Big Stone Gap Officer Michael Chandler appeared in court on Tuesday morning.
Michael Donivan White, of Cross, South Carolina, appeared by video from the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail in Abingdon.
He is accused of shooting Big Stone Gap Police Officer Michael Chandler early in the morning on Saturday, Nov. 13. Chandler died later that night from his injuries.
White’s court appearance followed his indictment on Monday by a special grand jury in Wise County.
White is facing 13 charges in connection with Chandler’s death:
- Aggravated murder
- Felony murder
- Possession of a Schedule I or II controlled substance with the intent to distribute
- Possession of a firearm while in possession of a Schedule I or II controlled substance
- Shooting in the commission of possession of Schedule I or II controlled substance with the intent to distribute
- Shooting in the commission of murder
- Use of a firearm in the commission of committing aggravated murder
- Possession of a firearm after being convicted of a felony
- Possession of ammunition by convicted of a felony
- Brandish a firearm
- Reckless handling of a firearm with serious injury
- Discharge a firearm in a public place
- Disorderly conduct
White received a court-appointed attorney as part of the hearing and his trial is scheduled to begin on April 11, 2022.