CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. – A Christiansburg man received two life sentences plus an additional 90 years in connection to the death and sexual abuse of his girlfriend’s two-year-old son.
McKenzie Hellman appeared in Montgomery County Circuit Court on Tuesday morning for his sentencing. Last month, Hellman entered a guilty plea to second-degree murder and child abuse charges.
Below is a breakdown of Hellman’s sentence:
- 5 years for possession of child porn
- 10 years for distribution of child porn
- 30 years for production of child porn
- 5 years for neglect/child abuse
- 40 years for second-degree murder
- Life sentence for sodomy (mandatory life sentence)
- Life sentence for object penetration (mandatory life sentence)
During his court appearance in July, the Commonwealth’s Attorney said Hellman’s story changed several times and that none of his stories aligned with the child’s injuries.
Initially, officials said Hellman claimed he was in a different room when the victim was playing with another toddler in the bedroom. He told authorities that the two were jumping on the toddler’s bed when the victim fell and hurt himself.
His story later changed, according to the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Hellman later said that the two toddlers were fighting when the victim may have bumped into the dresser.
However, the other toddler told authorities that Hellman abused the victim and once at the hospital, authorities said it was clear the boy was abused.
The baby boy had more than two dozen blunt injuries to his body, bleeding around his brain and broken bones in his skull.
Hellman was convicted earlier this year for his role in sex crimes performed on the child.
Kayla Thomas, the victim’s mother, is currently serving a life sentence for charges related to sex crimes. She was not charged in connection with his death.
10 News has covered this case extensively. Read more from our coverage:
- Christiansburg man pleads guilty to second-degree murder, child abuse charges (Published July 26, 2021)
- Trial date set for Christiansburg man charged with murdering his girlfriend’s toddler son (Published June 24, 2021)
- Christiansburg man found guilty of sexually abusing girlfriend’s toddler son (Published March 15, 2021)
- Court date set for Christiansburg mother charged with making child porn, sexually assaulting her son (Published Aug. 20, 2020)
- Court date set for Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son (Published June 22, 2020)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son indicted on 6 felony charges (Published Jan. 28, 2020)
- Hearing reveals alleged abuse New River Valley toddler faced before his death (Published Dec. 20, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son deemed fit to stand trial (Published Oct. 25, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother charged in connection with toddler’s death expected to enter a plea (Published Oct. 16, 2019)
- Case continued for Christiansburg mother charged with sexually abusing her now-dead toddler (Published June 19, 2019)
- Mental evaluation ordered for Christiansburg man accused of killing his girlfriend’s toddler son (Published June. 3, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing toddler asks for sanity, competency evaluation (Published May 30, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother, boyfriend who police say sexually abused her 2-year-old son appear in court (Published Feb. 28, 2019)
- Boyfriend charged with murder, he and mother sexually abused 2-year-old, police say (Published Jan. 18, 2019)
- Mother of 2-year-old who died charged with making child porn, sexually assaulting children (Published Jan. 17, 2019)
- 2-year-old boy dies, Christiansburg man now faces child abuse charge (Published Jan. 14, 2019)