ROANOKE, Va. – We now know when a Christiansburg man will be in court, facing multiple charges in connection with the death of his girlfriend’s son in 2019.
McKenzie Hellman’s two-day trial is scheduled to begin on October 5 at 9 a.m.
McKenzie Hellman and his girlfriend, Kayla Thomas, are accused of murdering and sexually abusing her 2-year-old son, Steven Dale Meek II.
Hellman faces the following charges:
- Felony murder
- Child abuse/neglect
- Reproducing child pornography as an accessory
- Producing child pornography as an accessory
- Object sexual penetration as an accessory
- Possession of child pornography
10 News has covered this case extensively. Read more from our coverage:
- Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son indicted on 6 felony charges (Published Jan. 28, 2020)
- Hearing reveals alleged abuse New River Valley toddler faced before his death (Published Dec. 20, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son deemed fit to stand trial (Published Oct. 25, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother charged in connection with toddler’s death expected to enter a plea (Published Oct. 16, 2019)
- Case continued for Christiansburg mother charged with sexually abusing her now-dead toddler (Published June 19, 2019)
- Mental evaluation ordered for Christiansburg man accused of killing his girlfriend’s toddler son (Published June. 3, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing toddler asks for sanity, competency evaluation (Published May 30, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother, boyfriend who police say sexually abused her 2-year-old son appear in court (Published Feb. 28, 2019)
- Boyfriend charged with murder, he and mother sexually abused 2-year-old, police say (Published Jan. 18, 2019)
- Mother of 2-year-old who died charged with making child porn, sexually assaulting children (Published Jan. 17, 2019)
- 2-year-old boy dies, Christiansburg man now faces child abuse charge (Published Jan. 14, 2019)