Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son indicted on 6 felony charges
Man faces six felony counts in the death of his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son
ROANOKE, Va. – A grand jury indicted a Christiansburg man on multiple charges Tuesday, including child abuse and murder.
McKenzie Hellman and his girlfriend, Kayla Thomas, are accused of murdering and sexually abusing her 2-year-old son, Steven Dale Meek II.
Thomas is facing five felonies, including that she sexually abused her son and used him to create child pornography.
The grand jury indicted Hellman on the following charges:
- Felony murder
- Child abuse/neglect
- Reproducing child pornography as an accessory
- Producing child pornography as an accessory
- Object sexual penetration as an accessory
- Possession of child pornography
Hellman will be back in court next month.
10 News has covered this case extensively. Read more from our coverage:
- Hearing reveals alleged abuse New River Valley toddler faced before his death (Published Dec. 20, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend’s toddler son deemed fit to stand trial (Published Oct. 25, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother charged in connection with toddler’s death expected to enter a plea (Published Oct. 16, 2019)
- Case continued for Christiansburg mother charged with sexually abusing her now-dead toddler (Published June 19, 2019)
- Mental evaluation ordered for Christiansburg man accused of killing his girlfriend’s toddler son (Published June. 3, 2019)
- Christiansburg man accused of killing toddler asks for sanity, competency evaluation (Published May 30, 2019)
- Christiansburg mother, boyfriend who police say sexually abused her 2-year-old son appear in court (Published Feb. 28, 2019)
- Boyfriend charged with murder, he and mother sexually abused 2-year-old, police say (Published Jan. 18, 2019)
- Mother of 2-year-old who died charged with making child porn, sexually assaulting children (Published Jan. 17, 2019)
- 2-year-old boy dies, Christiansburg man now faces child abuse charge (Published Jan. 14, 2019)
Copyright 2020 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.