crust (2 crusts)
· 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) flour
· 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
· 10 tablespoons (125 ml) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into pieces
· 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable shortening, very cold, cut into pieces
· 1/4 cup to cup (60 to 75 ml) ice water
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) brown sugar
·1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
·2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch
· 1 egg
· 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
· 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
1. In the bowl of a food processor, place the flour and salt. Pulse for a second just to combine.
2. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse for a few seconds until the mixture is coarse and grainy.
3. Add 60 ml (¼ cup) of ice water. Pulse and add some water, if necessary, until a ball begins to form. Remove the dough. Form a ball with your hands. Dust with flour and cover in plastic wrap. Let rest for about 1 hour in the refrigerator.
4. With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Roll out half of the dough. Line a 20-cm (8-inch) pie plate. Set aside.
5. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cornstarch. Add the egg and cream. Blend well.
6. Pour into the unbaked pie crust. Scatter dabs of butter over the pie filling.
7. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.