37ºF

Vinton house fire displaces three, causes $20K in damages

Vinton house fire displaces three, causes $20K in damages (Image 1) (Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

ROANOKE CO. (WSLS 10) - An early morning house fire in Vinton displaced three people and caused roughly $20,000 in damages, fire officials say. 

Roanoke County Fire and Rescue officials say at 12:44 a.m. Friday they were called to the 400 block of Raleigh Avenue for a reported structure fire. 

Upon arrival, crews saw no flames but smoke coming from the eves of the single-story home. After putting a ladder to the roof and inspecting the chimney, they discovered flames coming from inside the chimney. 

Firefighters say they used a thermal imaging camera inside the home to determine that the fire extended into the walls around the chimney. The flames also spread to the attic. 

The Roanoke County Fire Marshal's Office determined the blaze began when flames from a wood stove chimney ignited combustible materials in the wall and spread to the attic. 

Fire officials say three adults who lived in the home are temporarily displaced and staying with family. No injuries were reported.