Hot dog! Disney's Mickey Mouse turns 88
Heather Pelat, Media General – (MEDIA GENERAL) -- It's Mickey Mouse's birthday! The official mascot of Disney and one of the most recognizable cartoon characters of all time turns 88 on Friday.
To celebrate, Mickey has taken over Disney's Twitter account.
He also made a special appearance Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."
Here's a look at 10 facts about Mickey Mouse:
1. Mickey made his office debut in the short film "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
2. He was created as a replacement for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, an earlier cartoon character created by Disney.
3. Mickey first spoke in the 1929's film "The Karnival Kid" and his first words were "Hot dog!"
4. Mickey has appeared in more than 130 films, including "The Band Concert" (1935), "Brave Little Tailor" (1938) and "Fantasia" (1940).
5. Mickey was featured extensively as a comic strip character beginning in 1930.
6. Mickey's "Lend a Paw" won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1942.
7. In 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
8. The first piece of Mickey Mouse merchandise was a tablet of paper that featured the mouse, designed for children. The first Mickey Mouse doll was designed in 1930.
9. Walt Disney considered calling Disneyland "Mickey Mouse Village" before settling on Disneyland.
10. Mickey made his first TV appearance on "The Mickey Mouse Club" in 1955. The show aired intermittently through 1996. Mickey can be seen on TV today on Disney's "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse."
Information Courtesy: Disney Parks
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved