61ºF

Salem apartment building fire ruled accidental

No one was hurt

UPDATE

SALEM, Va. - An apartment building fire caused $50,000 in damage, according to Salem Fire Chief John Prillaman.

The fire, which was ruled an accident by the fire marshal, started in an electrical box, not by a candle as one resident thought.

The entire building is not severely affected and some residents will be able to return home.

The Red Cross is assisting those who are displaced. 

ORIGINAL STORY

Firefighters are responding to a fire that spread to multiple apartments in Salem.

The call came in around 10:20 a.m. for a fire at an apartment building on Hale Avenue, which is off of Route 460. 

Although the fire marshal is still investigating the cause, a woman told 10 News that it was her apartment that caught fire. She says she had a candle burning and left it unattended to go on a short grocery run. When she came back, her apartment was on fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the heavy flames in about 14 minutes, but they are still working on hotspots and assessing the damage. 

No one was hurt.