ROANOKE CO. (WSLS 10) - Fire and Rescue crews were called to the 6200 block of Crumpacker Drive in Roanoke County at 9:15 Thursday morning for a reported structure fire.
When crews arrived, they found fire in a basement of a single story home. Firefighters from Roanoke City, along with the Read Mountain and Vinton stations had the fire under control in about 15 minutes.
One person was home at the time of the fire and was able to escape without injury.
Fire investigators have determined the fire was accidental and weather related. Investigators say a nearby lightening strike energized a gas line feeding the hot water heater. The gas line failed and caused approximately $10,000 in damages.